"Yurii Kaparulin and Les Kasyanov created a striking documentary."
Directors: Les Kasyanov, Yurii Kaparulin
Duration: 29 min.
In the middle of the steppes of Kherson region lies a railway station called Kalinindorf. In 1927 the «all-Union elder» Mikhail Kalinin came here to establish the Jewish national district. To honor this event the inhabitants of Velyka Seidemenukha renamed their village to Kalinindorf.
In 1924 Soviet government launched a campaign for resettlement of the Jews to the steppes of Southern Ukraine. Restoration of Yiddish language and the new proletarian philosophy were in the limelight of the Ukrainian Jewish kolkhozes which got ideological names. In the steppes between the Dnipro and Kherson, as well as in the north of the Crimean peninsula five Jewish national districts were created, employing more than 100,000 Jews.
On August 27, 1941, Kalinindorf was occupied by the German army. Right afterwards, the Nazis began executing Jews who didn’t manage to evacuate.
Today Kalinindorf has a neutral name Kalynivske. Only ruins of the ancient synagogue remind us of Jewish collective farms. As well as the director of the local museum, who keeps preserving the history of these lands.
The film tells the story of the Jewish resettlement movement to the steppes of Southern Ukraine. The focus is on Kalynivske village, which lies today in Kherson region. During 1927–1944, it was the center of the first Jewish national district and was called Kalinindorf. During their expedition the film directors met with the inhabitants of former Jewish settlements to find out how the history of these lands has been kept to this day. The plot of the film touches the topic of common history and Ukrainian-Jewish relations against the background of the Soviet era. The circumstances under which the Jewish population was exterminated during World War II and the Holocaust are highlighted. The discussion of commemorative practices and the need to rethink these historical events today is considered.
During the expedition the team visited the following villages: Lvovo, Bobrovyi Kut, Mala Seidemynukha (ex Sterndorf), Suvore (ex Chervona Zirka, the Red Star), Kalynivske (ex Velyka Seidemynukha, Kalinindorf, Kalininske).
Yurii Kaparulin is a historian, PhD, professor at the State University of Kherson, head of the Raphael Lemkin Center for Genocide Studies. He has been researching the history of Jewish agricultural settlements in southern Ukraine for the past five years. For the film Yurii acted as producer and researcher.
Les Kasyanov is a photographer and filmmaker who has been working with the French historical organization Yahad—In Unum since 2011 collecting evidences about the Holocaust. Les was responsible for principal photography, sound and editing.
Some episodes were not included to the film. They are available as separate series.
The director of the museum of Kalinindorf tells the story about an ancient Jewish house in Mala Seydemynukha village (Ukraine, Kherson oblast).
2nd episode of cut scenes from the documentary «Kalinindorf». This time the story is about former Jewish colony #16, which was included to Kalinindorf Jewish national district under the name of Chervona Zirka (Red Star). Today the village is called Suvore and is situated in Mykolaiv oblast. The director of Hesed (Kherson) Oleksander Weiner shares his family story.
The director of the museum of Kalinindorf tells about the name of a Jewish village of Mala Seydemynukha (Ukraine, Kherson oblast).
The Museum of Kalinindorf
Volodymyr Zavodnianyi, the director of the museum of Kalinindorf shows his museum in Kalynivske (Ukraine, Kherson oblast) and tells the story about Jewish life in the village.
Synagogues of Mala Seidemynukha
Volodymyr Zavodnianyi, the director of the museum of Kalinindorf shows the places of Jewish life in Mala Seidemynukha (Ukraine, Kherson oblast).
The team speaks with the inhabitants of Bobrovyi Kut (Kherson oblast, Ukraine), a former Jewish village, which was included to Kalinindorf Jewish national district. Between Bobrovyi Kut and Iehvenivka there is an ancient well, where during the Holocaust 917 Jews were killed by the nazis.